Monday, December 7, 2015

Take A Sip!

                                         “Will you give me a drink?” (John 4:7)
About four years ago, our Pastor asked all our ministry leaders to take turns serving soup outside on the lawn of our church.  I cannot even give you a good reason why I didn’t want to do it—it was pure selfishness, honestly.  I thought it was a waste of time.  I had better things to do on a Saturday.  I had Sunday school lessons to prepare, something around the house that needed taken care of. Or maybe I just wanted to meet a friend at a local coffee shop for some “girl chat”.
I was drawn back to the story of Jesus asking the Samaritan woman for a drink in John 4.  She immediately started questioning Jesus and making excuses.  Her first question challenged Jesus as a religious leader—Jews didn’t associate with Samaritans.  Then, she made another excuse as to why she couldn’t draw water for him–he had nothing to draw with and the well was too deep (John 4:11).  I began to realize that’s how I was thinking.  Often times I would make excuses, thinking I was too deep in sin for God to use me.  My selfishness, my pride, my unforgiving heart blocked my ability to see the goodness of Christ in all things we do.  I would hear God’s voice, and feel His Spirit, but I did not act on the instructions and guidance He gave me.
I made way to that street corner each Saturday for 4 weeks serving homemade soup and hot chocolate to anyone who would walk by.  Several months later I saw a woman in the grocery store who recognized me from that corner.  “Don’t you go to the church on that hill?”
I replied, “Yes, how are you?”  I didn’t recognize her but she knew something about me.  She went on to tell me how she had the best soup one afternoon and we prayed with her.  She went on to share her personal story and how she appreciated the prayer the Pastor had given her.  It was at that moment that God said, this is why I needed you to serve soup.  It wasn’t about the soup; it was about the living water that flows in and through all who believe in Him. It was about being light when people are living in darkness.

If I had let my selfishness prevent me from serving,  I would have missed the opportunity to be light.  In order for living water to flow in us and through us we have to rid ourselves of ourselves–release the selfishness, the resentment, and the unforgiveness.  We must led the Spirit lead us to what is sure to be something pure, perfect, and right because He is an awesome God!

17 comments:

  1. Many times we just have to leave our comfort zone in order to be able to help and do something for the other one. I'm glad you had a good experience.

    SJ - simplyconversing.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Sometimes we don't realize how powerful our gestures can be and how it opens the door to build a connection. Kudos for taking the steps and wishing you the best on your next soup sharing volunteer days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! You never know who's watching and who you can touch with such a simple gesture as soup and hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great word... I need this today. I am at my family's house for our 'thansmas' and my senses are on overload!! I need to remember that I can do all things through Christ and that I am the light-bearer in this darkness. Thanks for the timely message!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is beautiful. I got chills all over. It's amazing how much you impact someone else's life and don't even realize how much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uplifting post! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Come on with this message!! It is not about us, yet GOD who lives, moves and breathe through us!! Just step out the way!!! Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you and this was great message!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you and this was great message!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing. There is so many that struggle with allowing their emotions/feelings dictate their actions. Having those feelings are not selfish. It's what you do with those feelings that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God always puts us in situations outside of our comfort zone so that we can see his glory! I'm glad that you yielded to his lead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing. Very inspirational message.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed reading this. It reminds me that sometimes I too can be a bit selfish and that has too change. There was a time I felt that I hid from God because I was so ashamed of all the sins that I committed. I felt as though I had let him down. Like I was his biggest disappointment. It wasn't until I actually stopped hiding and praying again that I realized that there is no where on earth where I could hide from his mercy and his grace. Though I am not perfect I know his love for me is and that's enough for me. Thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete