Saturday, March 9, 2013

When the fire goes out

I believe I was around 9 or 10 when I helped build my first campfire.  I loved going to Camp Epworth every summer and learning new and exciting things.  I particularly loved the evenings in the wilderness of God's awesome creation, finding the kindle to began a fire that would keep us warm as we shared our experiences of the day and sing songs.  Back then I probably didn't appreciate being in that space as I do now.  It is funny how over time, you realize the benefit of certain things.  From the first spark of the flame it brings you in and you want to feel the warmth over and over. The fire grows by adding more kindling with larger twigs and fallen branches.  It reached its strength because we kept adding to the fire, after awhile when it became close to our bedtime, the camp counselors would tell us to stop adding wood. Slowly the fire would smolder and burn out.  

Doesn't this happen to us when we stop adding kindling in our lives.  It can be in our relationships, at our jobs, with our friends, when we stop adding value to things they burn out.  If we don't put gas in the car, it won't drive. If we don't get that oil change as needed, the engine will lock.  We have to continue to add the kindling to our fire. 

Since my first blog, (this is only my second thus far) my husband immediately thought I wouldn't acknowledge that he has played a significant part in helping me to write. I get upset because I can't go to him to proofread because he isn't much of a reader. And, then I am too stubborn to just read it aloud, so we have this tug a war of who is going to make the sacrifice of coming out of a personal comfort zone. Most times neither of us will, so we go to our separate corners, he feeling like I don't want his help, and me feeling like he doesn't  want to help.  Even after 11 years together,  I can't understand why we do some of the things we do.  Crazy!  But, I sit here and think about just how much he helps me, and while we have our issues, some big, some small, our mess turns into a message for others.  And, if that is God's will for us to go through these tests for the betterment of others, then I can just rest assured that as we help others, we will in turn help ourselves.  Today's moment comes from me asking Michael where is his fire.  Over the years, it has lost its spark. When we met he was in the middle of planning a community day for the children in his neighborhood. That same year he started a toy drive at his job, and that Christmas we went to a family homeless shelter dressed as Santa and Mrs. Claus and delivered the toys to the kids at the shelter.  I had hoped that we started a tradition but no-- the fire had burned out!  I asked him where was that man whose vision I saw as something I wanted to be a part of.  And, he said, "well, things just happen."  I began to realize that I too, must reflect on my part in smoldering out the fire.  I, too, have not done anything.

So now what?  Where does that leave us?  Well, I am realizing that when the fire goes out, you have to have someone or something to light a spark in you.  Love will do that!  I realize that when you love someone or something, there is something within us that will spark a reaction.  You have to feed love.  You have to be ready for love to receive it, and to appreciate it.  When you love something the way God wants you to, you don't want to disappoint him.

Hal Hopson wrote a hymn many years ago, titled the Gift of Love, the lyrics come to my mind today as I reflect on how God's love is the spark of my life. He writes, " Though I may speak with bravest fire, And have the gift to all inspire, And have not love, my words are vain, As sounding brass, and hopeless gain"

I love my husband, and I don't want his fire to stay out.  I have to spark it with love, so that he can find his desires again.  It may not be playing Santa, but whatever the future holds for him, with God's love and mine I am assured that the flame will burn bright. 

Don't let your fire burn out for Him. Add your kindling-- through praise and worship!   Cultivate-- study the word!  Thank him daily for his presence in your life.  Add, Cultivate, Thank!  ACT! When your fire burns out ACT to get your spark back!


Building His Kingdom 1 blog at a time

2 comments:

  1. Now and then people ask me about the go-go film. When I started working on it in 2007 I had that fire but over time I lost it and last year I decided not to persue it. I no longer feel it's the film for me. Working on that film taught me a lot about grant writing and that I do have capabilites to be a documentary filmmaker. So I know my efforts were not in vain. Today I prayed for God to show me what my next steps should be concerning my filmmaking. So I wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anxiously wait to see what is in store. I definitely have some ideas... once I get them all worked out, I can share them. <3

      Delete